this must be the place....goin strong , yeah baby!!!

Friday, September 21, 2007

Well, I think we all learned a valuable lesson....

I'm just not sure what. Thursday we played an all funk set at a hip-hop party. Only thing is we didn't know any funk songs. Or how to play funk. Something was taken away from this valuable experience. I wont try to put to fine a point on it. After the set (3 songs) Chris played solo drums and people rocked the fuck out. That was pretty brilliant. Really the only bad thing that came out of it was that I burned the clothes I was going to wear for the gig Sunday on it. It actually turned out to be OK, I found some new ones. WHEW!!!

In other news Ecstatic Sunshine played in our basement Tuesday and it was amazing. Low Red Center opened and is my new favorite local band. I know I really like a band when I get jealous watching them specifically thinking ("why didnt i think of that/work hard and do it first?!") I guess I could be more life-affirming.

Strangely, I didn't get that feeling with the Dirty Projectors who played the next night at Emos with Ecstatic Sunshine. Maybe I'm past it with that one band in particular? I can't explain it. They are my favorite favorite band. I just love them.

So this week saw a house show Tuesday (w/preceding band practices), DPs Wednesday, impromptu funk gig Thursday, now its Yom Kippur and then we play again Sunday. Also we had some Parisian filmmakers stay at our house (Felix and Tristan) and I took a day to entertain them with the best Austin had to offer (greenbelt cliff jumping, a Dirty Projectors show).

One day ill be a student again....

No comments:

Post a Comment