this must be the place....goin strong , yeah baby!!!

Saturday, August 15, 2009

Athens Georgia

If you would have told me a month ago that I would be slowly bankrupting myself via pulled pork sandwich purchases, I probably would have told you that sounded delicious and I would have been right. I never want to eat another pulled pork sandwich without cole slaw on it again, that's for damn sure. Today I had one on chibatta bread. Fucking choice. Oh and hey...what about these peaches in season???? yeah! For those of you who didn't know, our brave writer is nestled up in the cozy (cozy here meaning "hot as fuck") Secret Squirrel in gorgeous, Georgious, Athens Georgia. Nights have been idyllically jamweeded away on an air conditioned farm we have been staying at for the past week (I walked into a fortuitous house-sitting arrangement) and my days have been shuffled between various activities, real and imagined. No j/k, that doesn't completely make sense.

One thing I have been doing is reading a lot, which is cool, and something I never do in Austin. I am currently 135 pages through a 588 page book called "Working" by Studs Terkel, which is basically 2-4 pages of people from all walks of life (mechanic, coal miner, receptionist, doorman, writer/producer...its a long book) telling about what they do. Its fascinating and makes me thing about the role of technology in our society. The book was written in the early 1970s, and there are great interviews with people whose memories go back as far as the Great Depression era. I have to finish it as quick as I can because I want to read other books while I am here and I have good time for reading. My schedule is such that I will get caught up in things and every couple days have to recommit myself to a given activity (swimming or reading) because I have missed a day on it.

A couple nights ago I went out to see Marshmallow Coast play at The Caledonia, which from what I understand is a somewhat reputed smaller venue (cap 115). I've always wanted to see them, but I think they don't really come to Austin and they delivered the goods. After the show I went to the merch table and bought a full length LP as well as 2 7"s for a total cost of EIGHT DOLLARS. I asked Andy Gonzales from the band why so cheap and he said "well its Athens" almost apologetically. This town does not really run on money* because no one has any, or at least no one buys shit, so hey why not sell you stuff at something that is probably less than cost, that makes sense to me, sorta, but sorta not.

(*- it runs on good vibrations)

OK, so the mystique. Yeah, its here all right. Also, I've come to the conclusion that the Austin mystique is well deserved. I'm pretty stoked on Austin at this moment and psyched to see yall when I get back. Its cool seeing projects coming to fruition as far as albums are concerned (Dan Doyle, Brazos, and School Police in the first half of 2009 are coming to mind...the list will go on).

But anyways Athens. Yeah, they got woods here. Woods are the shit. There are mosquitoes and periodic fire ants for sure, but I think there has got to be a strategic way around that. Everyone is super friendly and willing to lend a hand. I made a good decision and bought a new-guy-in-town 12er of High Life so I could have the first interactions with my new roommates be "hey, you want one of these beers?" I would recommend doing that to anyone. Then, when you smoke their weed, its gift exchange.

Its easy to meet people, even easier than Austin, which is I would say a pretty super easy place to meet people for someone new in town. Everyone is constantly playing music and catching rides and doing things together. It's so cool. Tonight I am going to 2 shows. First I am going to see The Brunettes at the Go Bar. They are from New Zealand. Then I am heading over to the 40 Watt to see a band lottery show, with like 40 local bands in different arrangements, similar to what has been done in Austin.

...thats it for now....

Also, an added hot music tip, check out this band from Baltimore called "Art Department". Just when I thought the Bmore scene was totally dead I hear these guys. Definitely strong Minutemen influence, and I hear alot of Apple O era Deerhoof as well. Weirdo Oh Sees like high-low vocal thing going on, and every song is a minute to a minute and a half pretty much. Some Dirty Projectors-y afro pop guitar in there and maybe later Beefheart in the arrangements. Lately everything sounds like later Beefheart to me....weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment