this must be the place....goin strong , yeah baby!!!

Sunday, September 21, 2008

I was always kinda (almost morbidly) curious about Aphrodite's Child's pre-666 output. Not because it's supposedly good, but because vocalist Demis Roussos went on to pump out disco albums after the 666 catfights. I hesitated because 666 is an anomaly, not only of rock music but of human existence. You don't sell 37 billion albums by releasing 39 minute cuts of Irene Pappas screaming "I am to cum." But how do you convince your 350 pound band mate, who's also the third highest selling Greek artist world-wide, to get to that point after being phenomenally successful?

I don't really want to know. I never wanted to rationalize the mystical; I wanted fucking Satan to be responsible.

For that, or any other number or reasons (laziness), I never listened to End of the World or It's Five O'Clock. That is, until Saturday around sun rise when I heard their first smash hit "Rain and Tears" released in 1968.

Here it is, lyrics and fan art included!



In my nocturnal daze, I decided to start Hou Hsiao-hsien's Three Times, which stylistically sums up his progression as a filmmaker and the history of Taiwan in three very different segments. Covering the entire quality spectrum, the segments range from brilliant to abysmal.

The only one really worth mentioning is the first, A Time for Love. Taking place in 1966, it opens in a small pool hall with the smooth crooning of The Platters, immediately creating a beautiful and nostalgic mood, perfect for five o'clock in the morning. [boring plot summary] You see the main character and his love interest, who are torn apart by required military service. Years later, she moves, and he, of course, must find her. Their inevitable meeting at the end is the reason movies exist.

A dude in the rain holding hands with a girl he barely knows but loves completely with fucking "Rain and Tears" on the soundtrack. It's the wholly enviable, youthful, romantic idealism that most often fails in the movies, but couldn't have been more exciting.

At the time, I did not recognize Demis Roussos' angelic voice, but now it's something I'll never forget, and it only adds to the 666 enigma.

No comments:

Post a Comment