this must be the place....goin strong , yeah baby!!!

Sunday, March 2, 2008

Secret Belaire Show // TOTAL EXISTENTIAL FREAKOUT // Tour Announcement

Sometimes going ahead and grabbing a 12 pack of High Life at 12:45 when you are already mostly wasted is a good idea. I'll let history be the judge of whether or not it was last night, but actually I won't, cause fuck it!

Last night was the first Belaire show since I am guessing the CD release show with Yellow Fever. It was held at Josh Duke's old house, which I believe is the currently the house of the new drummer for Belaire, whose name I don't know yet. The scene was a veritable who's who--which is to say basically everyone in every band in Austin was there. Mad props to Justin Cox from the Austinist for his late night supply of beer (dude stashed 36 brews in the car!!! whoa! and they were all cold!!) Never let it be said that that guy doesn't know how to party, cause that would just be false. I was in a great mood, which I explained in conversation form to about 7 different groups of people, mainly on account of 1) the sandals I was wearing (first time this year) and 2) the fact that I can as of recently bike almost anywhere without being worn out at the end of my journey. Yeah, I totally explained that to like 7 groups of people.

The band sounded great. Not to toot the horn of my friend Christine (Christa's replacement who totally and eerily looks like her), but girls got some mad rock star powers/sassiness. You just like to see that. It was totally fun and the band was tight like "whaa? aint this yalls first time playing together?" Reverse X-Rays have played like 15 shows, and we are still not 1/3rd as tight as those guys.

so onto later in my evening....I biked up with Shane and Tim (aka Timmy Baltimore, aka Geronimo Dynamite aka Julio "The Killer" Vasquez) to Trillopolis (aka 46th and Duval...this is from 3rd and Atayak...luckily it was FUCKING 68 DEGREES OUTSIDE! AUSTIN TEXAS IN THE SPRING TIME BABY!!) and Tim proceeded to totally freak me out. I was sort of jawing with Shane and him on the bike up about basically trying to figure out what it means to try and be an artist and going for the gold, and Tim (dudes got an art degree) really broke it way down on so many levels so hard that I got this tight knot in my stomach and eventually had to tell him to stop. This was like an hour later. He described what I was experiencing as existential dread and apparently I'm supposed to embrace it and be fearless. Workin' on it! It was related to so many things like:

How am i supposed to figure out what to do next? (I forget Tim's answer)
Should I try and predict how my future self will think and match my current actions with those future thoughts? (Tim's answer: "its like when you look out the back of a boat and see a wake. The wake is only behind the boat, but its not pushing the boat." or something like that.)
Is it pointless to want an audience, and does a person need a reason to want an audience, or is it pure vanity? (Tim had an answer, but i forgot that one, too)
Did Basquiat really know what he was doing in regards to understanding and applying abstract expressionism at the tender age of 20, and how the fuck did he figure that out? Also, if he was elevated to his historical status randomly, doesn't that to some extent negate his artwork? (I think we ended up at an impasse on this one, or the conversation changed or something)
Do you think I should change my album title? (for the forthcoming Ethan Master of the Hawaiian Ukulele record. The working title is "So Real". Tim said I should change it, that it was over obvious, reactionary, and a cheap laugh, but I think I am going to keep it, despite the fact that we came up with a couple decent alternate titles)

So that was my TOTAL EXISTENTIAL FREAKOUT. It was hardcore. The other thing I thought I would mention is Reverse X-Rays are going to try and go on tour this summer! The tour is going to end up being between 4 and 5 weeks and when we get back from the road we are going to be total fucking beasts. At least that is the plan. I want to write out all the cities we were like "yeah! lets go there! and then on day 32 well cut back down to New Orleans, and then..." but I have it on a different computer. Anyways, I'm sure booking this tour is going to end up being somewhat of a group effort (if you're in a touring band and reading this, expect at some point a myspace message asking if you have any leads on venues/bands to play with).

so yeah, thats it for now, but pretty epic shit is going down.

No comments:

Post a Comment