this must be the place....goin strong , yeah baby!!!

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Seeing Bands vs. Following Bands

This is a post about following bands. Tonight I saw {{{SUNSET}}} and Weird Weeds at the Cactus Cafe. I have seen both bands numerous times, and also fairly recently. That said, it was a great show I enjoyed very much. I think there is a part of me thats getting very "fuck you!" about bands on tour. Like actually, alot of them are really cool, and to tour is a beautiful thing, but maybe I should just get 30 years older and move to South Austin, because I prefer to hear the same old bands I like, i guess. Which is to say, to Follow them. Sunset played a song tonight that they usually play with a Rhodes, but this time they didn't bother schlepping the thing out. Also everything in their set was appropriately volumed. I saw em at Mohawk opening for Will Johnson, and it was really loud, which was good for the space, but it was better to be in a better space (Cactus) and have it be at a better volume. Like that space can do no wrong, it sounds great. That place and The Parish are acoustically the best rooms that I can think of in Austin, and barring places I haven't been yet, the only 2 really on their level.

But back to "the topic" (ha). Yeah, I really like those bands. I'm starting to pick up what the words to SUNSET songs are, and I don't have anything of theirs recorded. Its funny to consider music consumption patterns, be it via, a record, a cd, a tape, an mp3 blog, or a live show. Live shows are cool in the way they are fundamentally tied to the ephemerally of the whole bit, which gets sort of masked by a recording, but recordings are valuable for the opposite reason---they allow time for consideration to take effect. That's really a different "topic" as it were, but what I look for in a show is allowed to be something different if its a band I have seen a few times, and I just thought I would write a little something so if people were so inclined, they could think about how seeing bands over and over in a short period of time made them feel (as opposed to once every year to two years when they come around on tour).

No comments:

Post a Comment