this must be the place....goin strong , yeah baby!!!

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Whiny Babies in Jazz Class (meanest post of the year)

So ok, check this. I am a college graduate, but still in school, because I have free hrs of tuition because my parents had the foresight to prepay that shit right before they deregulated tuition and prices went up like 50%. Some people know that about me already. What does this mean practically? I get to take whatever the fuck classes I want, and this is what I came up with.

Music of Indonesia
Music of the African Diaspora
History of Jazz (the hardcore one for jazz majors, not Jazz Appreciation)
and
Intermediate Jazz Improvisation

.

Now here's a story that should make all you musicians out there go WTF. Im in Intermediate Jazz Improv class this morning and sweating bullets cause I haven't practiced the assignment as much as I should have (play 2 octaves of major, minor, diminished, and augmented triads on your instrument.) So i go second (out of 7 students) and the first kid is a classical pianist who fucking rails through that shit, and I kinda struggle through it, and then the next guy plays it pretty well and then this girl goes. Ok, now she must not have practiced. That has to be a given. She said she practiced for an hour and a half, but let's be honest here, she didn't pick up her goddamn instrument for longer than 10 minutes. or did she?

Ok, wait hold the phone. You're probably wondering why I'm railing on this poor girl right? What if she did do it and she just did a bad job? what if she was nervous? everyone was a little nervous. Who the fuck am I anyways? Some kind of asshole, thats who, I guess.

Well she gets to the augmented triad and just falls apart. She can't play it. She's playing all this other stuff (btw she wasn't the only one this happened to, another kid...A JAZZ MAJOR NO LESS...fell apart a little bit, too), but this girl was like "its a major third on top of a major third right?" and then just couldn't play it. She made all these excuses like, she had never heard what it sounded like before etc etc and just went on and on and acted like the prof was sooo mean and singling her out (everyone has to play the HW assignment for the rest of class, so everyone gets singled out).

OK so here is the kicker. SHE IS A GRAD STUDENT WITH A MUSIC EDUCATION DEGREE FROM SOME ACCREDITED UNIVERSITY WHO HAS BEEN TEACHING IN A CLASSROOM WITHOUT KNOWING WHAT A FUCKING AUGMENTED CHORD IS.

You know, I just don't get it man. I mildly fucked up to and as I was doing so I imagined the Profs thought pattern as being "well, this kids either gonna sink or swim, jury is still out on him" and I was sweating bullets man trying not to fuck up. But you know it makes me wonder...what are these other kids doing in this class? True, I have the retarded advantage of just being in school to learn, but I can't imagine you find yourself in an Intermediate Jazz Improv class (I assume all the others took beginning improv) without wanting to be there, or having some interest in jazz, or whatever, SOMETHING.

So yeah, I come from a family of educators and I cant help but feel there is some failing in the system that MY tax dollars (ha, like mommy and daddy don't still pay my taxes....but what will be my tax dollars real soon) are getting spent paying music teachers who can't figure out how to play an augmented triad. :X :X :X :X :X :X :X

Yeah, really I just hadn't blogged anything in a while and wanted to....

No comments:

Post a Comment