this must be the place....goin strong , yeah baby!!!

Sunday, December 16, 2007

Cave: "Hunt Like Devil"

Pitchfork as a whole is useful, and at this point I think I'm done thinking about obvious homer picks of mediocre bands who get lifted onto the circut but arent any good. That said, this track (a recent "On Repeat" addition) fucking sucks. Its a straight Lightning Bolt rip ("Assassins" off of Wonderful Rainbow...I'd be so pissed if I were those guys for hearing another band was about to profit on a candied up version of my song like that....only 'cause Cave does such a worse job/doesn't get it/whatever. Listening to this song made me think of the interview where Ice Ice Baby claims he didn't rip off Under Pressure ("no mines da da da da da da DA da.")

Anyways, ya add one part direct Motorhead rip and stretch the song to 10 minutes and thats rock and roll right? Except the song is way too long and boring as hell and never as intense as the Lightning Bolt or as in the pocket as Motorhead. And it candies things up with instrumentation switches that do nothing to further the song. 10 minutes? Would made been a better LB rip at 3, and a better Motorhead rip at 6:30. On repeat? No thanks, once was enough.

And look, I'm only assailing this one song, they might be a great band for all I know. Maybe Pfork is repping them early cause they've seen em live and know the band is good even if the track isn't and wants to be stopo numero uno on the hype gravy train. Wouldn't be the first time, and I've reached step 6 or 11 or whatever as far as thats concerned (acceptance), but just for documentary purposes, I'm going to throw this one out there.


PS



1 comment: