this must be the place....goin strong , yeah baby!!!

Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Charlie has a 2nd house show

I got no pics, but I played a show at Charlie's last night. I had a Spanish test this morning and pre-show was in his music room doing Spanish homework for a little bit. That dude (maybe + roommates) has a killer record collection. Anyways, it was his second show in 3 days. It rained for this one which killed turnout a bit, but the people that were there had a great time. I think (hope) he is going to start putting more shows like that together, hes got a great house for it, and especially if it is sunshiny and the living room gets moved outside.

I started the show, playing the first Ethan, Master of the Hawaiian Ukulele set since the Oneida show last June. It was solo and 75% cowboy love songs on a guitar but we wont let the facts get in the way of keeping the moniker. It was nice to do it in a living room. The moment I finished about 6 more people came through the door. I think I will probably do it again on Saturday at our house. Eric Archer and Oguz came but after I was done. They brought this semi-spicy trail mix which was delicious.

After me Martin Crane from Brazos played. I had never seen him before. I had heard good things and tried to go see them at Local Live last month, but they played during this torrential downpour and I woke up from a nap and saw it and went back to bed. Anyways, I didnt make it and was glad to finally see it. Martin played 4 songs on acoustic guitar: a Beck cover, a Mark Ashworth cover, and then 2 of his own. Im glad he played after me because hes got this great high voice and I dont like to play after people who have actual vocal talent. Maybe its standard insecurity, but I think as a general rule in Western Society people prefer higher voices. For every Johnny Cash there are about 20 Justin Timberlakes, not to say Martin sounded like that. Anyways, hopefully he will be able to play the show at my house on Saturday, Ive been busy with school so I havent really gotten around to confirming the acts yet and I have a feeling maybe 1 or 2 slots will open and close back up before its all said and done.

Anyways the last band to play was The Shift from Colorado. They were a heavy instrumental 3 piece and they were great, though even with ear plugs in i felt like i was going deaf. Candice said the drummer was the fastest shed ever heard. I didnt think he was especially especially fast but i did think he was realy original and really good. I wouldnt say he made it look easy, but he looked very comfortable making some very complicated changes. Those guys really met my criteria for an instrumental 3 piece in the sense that I could focus on any of the instruments and be impressed and they all worked together. The bass was shockingly funky considering how often they changed or played in weird time signitures. The guitarist was doing these crazy crazy arpeggios and making really strange shapes. I want him to take a video fo the fretboard while he plays and post it on youtube. I told those guys after the show that they would go over really well in San Antonio and I am definately going to alert Crotch on Fire to their presence. They dont sound like those San Antonio bands, but knowing what those guys flip out about they would really like this band. They were so tight and always sounded heavy first and proggy second, even though they were doing really wacky shit sometimes.


ALSO: on a blogging note we may have some new voices joining us here pretty soon, so get ready. :P

No comments:

Post a Comment