this must be the place....goin strong , yeah baby!!!

Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Retardedly Perfect Musical Performance Killing My Ego

I consider myself vaguely musical, je suis musician, and I still have rock star dreams which I may or may not fulfill someday. There are things out there though -- songs on records, singer performances, bands, moments of music -- that just make me want to hang up my creative hat and say, here, this is how it's supposed to be done, I better not spoil. Here, James Mercer of The Shins live, he has absolute control over that voice of his. Here, you feel those goosebumps when Thom Yorke freaks out when Idioteque hits the fever pitch? Or when Jonsi nails Untitled One like a siren of myth?

Here's Ethan Smith on a rhodes, persnaps?

Well, today I will say for certain that my icy aging little heart was broken by a Youtube video. Someone I honestly I haven't paid too much attention to at all before, St. Vincent, shows up in this DUMBO performance (which other bands have apparently done), doing the best Nico since Nico did "These Days." I get the feeling her fingers know the contours of this song so well, and she just looks forward trying to channel the history of this song, all it is, and it's like she's not afraid of what it means at all. I don't think I could ever do it. Not like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vxQs84FMWQ

No comments:

Post a Comment