this must be the place....goin strong , yeah baby!!!

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Presidential Tunes

Ethan and I watched the election coverage at my house and had victory tacos. A few small points to make:

At Barack Obama's Grant Park rally, the song played before he took the stage was "Higher and Higher". I believe that the version they played was the Howard Huntsberry version featured in the statue of liberty scene in Ghostbusters 2.



The original version was by Jackie Wilson



On another note, he envoked "A Change is Gonna Come" by Sam Cooke in his speech with the phrase, "It's been a long time coming... but a change is gonna come."

Sam Cooke - A Change is Gonna Come (Ain't That Good News, 1964)




And lastly, I was really curious the whole time what music would be played when Obama finished his speech. I really wanted to hear "Sir Duke" by Stevie Wonder, but thought it would just be too funky and that a song with a really triumphant electric guitar would be necessary. But Barack kept it understated and hit us with some sweeping classical music that I know absolutely nothing about.



And lastly, I posted this video before but I've had the song in my head all day so here it is again, Cocoa Tea's "Barack Obama".

No comments:

Post a Comment