this must be the place....goin strong , yeah baby!!!

Sunday, July 6, 2008

How even as a middle schooler did I not realize that Will Smith is the most ridiculous rapper of all time?

Seriously. I was guided by an article on slate.com to watching Youtube videos of "Summertime", "Gettin Jiggy Wit It", and yes, "Miami." Maybe it was because I wasn't allowed to watch MTV. Maybe my mom was sheltering me from the evils of MTV so I wouldn't see how ridiculous Will Smith looked. I am just blown away by the formulaic background vocals that don't really fit with the rest of the track and appear in all three tracks. I think Will Smith isn't believable as a sex object, and the producers knew it so they bolstered "Miami" with (equally not believable?) sexy background vocals "bienviendiedo a Miami" and not to have its eyes not rolled at "ay Papi"


SUMMERTIME:


I was looking for this other video that I couldn't remember where rappers are having a cook out in the park and its much more believable as not just a media image, but this is the closest i came up with




More "big willie style"
(compare with "remember the time")


No comments:

Post a Comment