this must be the place....goin strong , yeah baby!!!

Friday, May 16, 2008

Second Night Out in Boulder

Much more successful.
Roommate #1 and I headed to a karaoki bar called the Dark Horse. Incredibly unpretentious western themed bar that had some sort of a circle fetish. There were wheels of many different shapes and sizes behind the bar, spinning by the power of some "dark horse" or perhaps a motor. Also the ceiling was lined with parts from old carriages, completely the wheel aesthetic.

I sang a feverish rendition of Stevie Wonder's Higher Ground and somehow got drunk for free. I also performed a slow midi-ed out version of Try a Little Tenderness by Otis Redding. I was really planning on singing the live Monterrey Pop Festival version, where he really rips into it, but the tempo never sped up. I kinda ignored that fact though and did pretty much the same adlibs he did in Monterrey (basically running out of breath on the chorus and shouting got got got got got and now now now), just at an incredibly drawn out tempo.



There were a few scene looking kids watching me and cheering me on for the Otis song and I talked to one of them afterwards. He was wearing a black jacket with rhinestones in the shape of a space shuttle so I asked him if he was into electro music. He said no, he was just into outer space, but he could see how I'd say that. He's in a garage rock band around these parts called Happy Jawbone Family Band that is actually fucking good. I'm curious to spend some time with this guy.

Afterwards we went to a place called The Foundry which was kind of confused about whether it wanted to be a pool hall of the Thursday night spot for your scantily clad college skank. It was a sprawling place, probably 10 pool tables and an adequate raised dance floor, in addition to a rooftop patio that was pretty sweet. The DJ was playing the hits. He definitely mixed One More Time by Daft Punk into Sir Mix-a-Lot's Baby Got Back into Salt n Pepa's Push It. So no brainer-generic party DJing. People were eating it up, to be expected.

Afterwards I grabbed a gyro and hit the sack. A much better night than the last.

No comments:

Post a Comment