this must be the place....goin strong , yeah baby!!!

Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Vincent Gallo /// RRIICCEE

I gotta go to class real soon, but i wanted to write something. First of all, I had a personal reason for wanting to pay 21 dollars to be at this show, and thats that I was in a band with RRIICCEE's drummer in high school. We had a lot of creative tension, because he thought it was important NOT to practice, so you didn't lose what it means to be unpracticed or something. Something is more authentic that way, according to him. So I took great delight in 5 years later seeing him play drums not much better than that 17 year old kid who refused to practice. Something about dishes best served cold....

OK thats out of the way though. There was something else that made the show worth going to. I like destroying mysteries, namely the "where the fuck did that come from?" mystery that I still hold to a few things, relevantly the Vincent Gallo record "When". That record is still pretty awesome but if I had never seen this show I would still wonder "where the fuck did that come from?"

But now I know. Vincent Gallo is an incredibly (INCREDIBLY) sensitive prog-rocker just like the rest of us. I got a chance to talk to him after the show and described his guitar playing as the most mellow .1% of Yes and King Crimson, which he took as a compliment (as he should have). Shittily for me, he really only let loose on that first song. But the chordal stuff makes more sense in that context, and thats where "When" came from. Pretty cool, really, and I never would have guessed it, even though "Heart of the Sunrise" is totally in Buffalo 66.

Anyways, I went home and put on "Fragile". That's still a great record, too.

peace for now,
-EB

No comments:

Post a Comment