this must be the place....goin strong , yeah baby!!!

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

A testy exchange with Kevin Eubanks

Yo Kevin, this site is really a beautiful thing. I stumbled on it by accident, but was compelled to write you. I am a music student at the University of Texas (just a BA). My problem is discipline. Drums is the instrument I mostly practice now, and while sometimes I can get in a groove and practice an hour and a half maybe 6 days a week for a couple months at a time (which leaves me happy with my progress), other times I fall off the wagon and practice much less. Right now I've had 3 bad weeks of practice in a row and am in a total rut. This is more of a wholistic question, but I would really like some sort of consistant discipline in my brain and was wondering if you knew how a person aquires that. I know thats kind of a strange and vague question, and on some level it has to be different for everybody, but I graduate soon and am going to have to decide if I want to go on tours and get involved in the whole indie circut thing, or if there is something else I should be doing. I think the stress of the not knowing is making it harder for me to practice in the short term, and maybe I'll just come through this, but its hard to know what to do. peace from Austin, Ethan

Discipline is a remarkable thing. It can be used to focus your energy and allow you to develope and gain direction in a select period of time. The main thing is to be consistant and be respectful. Respectful of yourself. The lack of discipline really show a certain lack of self respect. I don't mean any offense to you. please take this in the right way, a positive way. It's just a matter of perspective. You have this creative energy and you use the drums to release it. Apparently you have more creativity that wants to come out but without practice, which leads to opportunity, you will not have the ability or the chance to do so. And in your own mind it is you yourself that is preventing this from happening. Why do you have such little respect for yourself and your dreams? It is in your power to do whatever you want, even if it is little by little day by day. Face yourself and don't take the easy road bc there really is nothing easy about it. You can invest in yourself by exercising some discipline or maybe never trust that you can ever do what it takes when it really comes down to it. Inside you will know why you feel the way you do about yourself, one way or the other. Your problem is not discipline, it's self respect and being lazy. I say all of this out of respect for a fellow musician whom I wish the very best for.

No comments:

Post a Comment